Friday, March 31, 2006


This has been the hardest week yet for us. Terri and I aren't used to seeing Matthew this uncomfortable. By Sunday Matthew developed the most awful, hacking cough I've ever heard come out of a child. Usually one most enjoy a lifetime of cigarette smoking to develop this level of a wreching cough. Terri and I are thoroughly exhausted from the sleepless nights but my sympathies go to my son. He endures semi-hourly interruptions of his sleep for respiratory therapies, vital signs checks, diaper changes, rectal thermometer checks, and the administering of copious medicines. He is obviously responding negatively to the constant medical traffic in & out of his room because he is exhibiting an apprehensiveness towards personal contact that I've never seen before. Between the cough and diarrhea he is just miserable. Terri and I are hopeful that we might take Matthew home this evening where we can work towards rebuilding his innocent, trusting demeanor. He will likely go home on twice the amount of medications and breathing treatments. I am sorry there haven't been more postings on the Blog but I have been spending my nights at Matthew's bedside, then heading straight to work (sometimes without even showering or changing clothes). This will pass soon and our lives will return to a more normal pace. Thank you all for your thoughts and continued prayers.

1 comment:

Grandma Sue said...

Oh my gosh, my son, you look so exhausted. I'm hoping you can catch up on sleep when you get home. I'm sure it will be hectic for awhile until Matthew is totally well and back on his schedule.

I can't tell you how proud I am of you and Terri. Your love for Matthew has brought you to a new high. You are magnificent parents and Matthew looks to both of you for his every need. He will reward you with so much love and respect, not to mention with so many fun times.

Take care of yourself and your family.

I love you. Mom (Grandma Sue)