Tuesday, August 23, 2005


A Telling Week?

Terri and I just spoke with Dr. Sara Kache who is this week�s CVICU attendee. Matthew is battling three different bacterial infections with a host of different antibiotics. Because he is on his sixth IV since Saturday, access has taken on a new urgency. Therefore, tomorrow they will plan on surgically implanting the Broviack line unless his blood cultures look bad. If not a Broviack, they will install a kind of hybrid line; not quite a Broviack but more permanent than a PIC line. It is ironic that we are hoping for another surgery but a long term access point is vital.
Even more serious was our discussion about extibating Matthew. Dr. Kache still intends on weaning him off the ventilator throughout the week with the hope of removing the breathing tube this Friday around 10:30-11am. Once off the ventilator they will immediately switch him to �CPAP� which forces oxygen into his nasal cavity through a cannula. If he can�t handle the CPAP he will have �failed extibation�. At that point he will most likely be scheduled for and receive a tracheostomy. This is shaping up to be a very telling week. Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Auntie Kim said...

My dear sweet Matthew. I am unable to sleep tonight with thoughts of you running through my mind. I am reminded of one of my favorite bible verses in Psalm 91. "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.' Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart." "For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. You will tread uon the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent." May each and every time that you are stuck with a needle and/or proded with another tube or instrument, I pray that the angels lift you and comfort you my precious Matthew. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Anonymous said...

Come on little Matthew, be strong!