Wednesday, August 24, 2005


I had an epiphany today�

Our family is blessed with good health insurance from my Police Department. The only hitch is a $2 million lifetime cap per family member. That�s right, after our insurance pays out $2 Million worth of Matthew�s daunting medical bills he will no longer be covered. As we all know his treatment will not end with this surgery and hospital stay. He will go home highly susceptible to respiratory infections. He will need routine visits to Dr. Mayman, the greatest Cardiologist in all of Nevada. Since Matthew�s conduit (or valve in his heart) is from a cadaver it will not grow with his body and will need to be replaced throughout his life. Plus, boys will be boys and with that comes the usual visits to the doctor. I don�t like to be pessimistic but we could become one of those families on 20/20 (or some other investigative journalism show) who have an awful situation that rivets you to the TV and makes you feel miserable on a Sunday night. How many thousands of other families are in a similar situation? We shouldn�t have to worry about our future when we have so much to worry about in the present. So I came up with an idea�

The Whomagoo Foundation

Mission Statement:

1. Give grants to families for a child�s medical expenses when they surpass their health insurance cap.
2. Advocate raising of the lifetime cap for newborns to the insurance industry and lobby Congress.
3. Publish a pediatric web site for parents to search for and share information on their child�s condition.

Think about what a noble effort that would be. The majority of employees for major corporations are middle class families with health care. Corporations would be proud to sponsor a foundation that benefits their labor market. Tax deductable donations to a non-profit organizations is good PR for big corporations. I can tell you from personal experience how often Terri and I fret about our insurance cap. It would be such a relief for families to know there is help out there.

So, the next step is to find out how to start a foundation. Any suggestions?
 Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Auntie Kim said...

ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS IDEA!!

Anonymous said...

Here is an idea for your foundation:
Since you sell Mary Kay and Pampered Chef...ask the president of each of those companies for a donation of some sort. Like if you purchase something that is 50.00 and 10% of that or more would go towards the Whomagoo Foundation. I think that if people come to realize where their money is really going, they may donate more. Give people information on the Foundation and see if Personally, if I could, I would donate every PAY!!!
Just a thought.
God's Blessings

Anonymous said...

Michael and Terri,

I'm Nazyrah Prewitt, a co-worker from Grandma Wright in FL. I have follow the litte one story since his birth and I have prayed for him every day. I really liked the idea and I'm more than willing to support it since my middle brother was once in your son's place. He spent the 1st 2 years of his life in the hospital. Below is a link I found that might help you get started. Also, is it possible to write to someone like Oprah to get on her show. I'm sure a letter for Janet will get you guys on the show right away. Please let me know how I can help. God bless you http://www.cmif.org/Starting_Foundation.htm

Anonymous said...

My friend Tracey Vanetten had a preemie baby in the state of california with major health issues and costs (5 million and more as of today)and i spoke with her today.there is so much info she can give you about programs like ssi for sick children not living at home etc. her email is tvanetten4mk@yahoo.com. also, there are programs like shriners,special children's clinic and the katie beckett program that can steer you for help. love jeannine

Anonymous said...

I would also like to see a fund set up for Matthew so his friends can contribute something towards his health care.
Can someone in Nevada check into this?